Monday, July 12, 2010

Quilting for a Dummy

When I was designing Greg's new big boy room, I got the brilliant idea to make him patchwork curtains. I'd never quilted before, but had some sewing experience and an awesome machine (my workhorse Viking Husqvarna Emerald 116, how I love it sew [haha get it?]), and so I decided I could handle this no problem. So I went on my merry way, and spent the better part of 2 weeks (every naptime, bedtime, and otherwise free moment of time) sewing the equivalent of two twin size quilts.  I'm not into starting small. The curtains did turn out nicely, and I'm sure they will look very nice in his college dorm room. And his house when he gets married. I hope his future wife likes transportation motifs.

I did decide to downsize a little bit, and my next quilting project was a baby quilt for Elise. I finally finished it a few days ago, and I am thrilled with how it turned out. This one, though much smaller, took me about a month to complete because I now have an infant who can't be persuaded to let mommy sew with cookies and Caillou.  What do you think?


And of course, my babies on the quilt:


Whenever someone asks me where I learned to quilt, I say "the internet". Because it's true. The internet has taught basically everything useful that I know. I do have a little bone to pick with internet; however, regarding learning how to quilt. I googled every search term I could think of "quilts for dummies" and "sewing your first quilt" and "quilting for beginners" and it provided me with only bits and pieces of the knowledge I needed. I never did find a really great quilting tutorial that didn't assume you already knew all the quilting buzzwords.  So I am considering, when I sew my next quilt, doing a step by step instruction guide on sewing a quilt for anyone else whom the internet has failed.

In non-quilt related news, we had a graduation party for my youngest sister yesterday. I think an excellent time was had by all. Greg helped me make the cookies for the party. He is a wonderful assistant baker. He measure ingredients, cracks the eggs, and turns on the mixer for me. He also tastes the dough at every step to ensure a delicious product. He once told Matt he knew more about making cookies then Matt did. He was not wrong on that count.  Since I like you, dear reader, I will share my top secret chocolate chip cookie recipe.  You will note it looks very much like the Toll House recipe with the exception of the amount of flour. And that, my friend, makes all the difference.

World's Most Delicious Chocolate Chip Cookie
2.5 cups of flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
chocolate chips to taste

Preheat oven to 375. If you're feeling ambitious, sift the flour, baking soda and salt together. Otherwise just mix them together. Beat butter and sugar together. Add eggs and vanilla. Slowly add dry ingredients to butter mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Bake 12-14 minutes until cookies are just set for delicious chewy cookies. Unless you are cooking them for my father. In that case, omit the chocolate chips and burn them ever so slightly and wonder why anyone in the world would like burnt cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment